CAN YOU RUN ALONG THESE WALLS
Ston Wall Marathon
In Croatia, we have our own Great Wall of China. Just a bit smaller.
It’s located in Ston, a tiny town at the head of the Pelješac Peninsula, one hour’s car drive from Dubrovnik.
The Wall of Ston was built in the 14th and 15th centuries to protect the salt marshes from which the Dubrovnik Republic extracted white gold, commonly known as salt. Salt was a precious commodity at that time, and thanks to the salt trade, Dubrovnik continued to grow and flourish.
The Ston Wall Marathon is held every year in September. At the beginning of the race, you run the 600 year old Wall, and then you continue through the unspoiled, untouched and rural landscapes of the Pelješac Peninsula, with its fabulous views of the rugged coast, islands, vineyards and olive groves…
4 nights itinerary:
18th – 22nd September 2020
STON WALL MARATHON
4 NIGHTS ITINERARY
YOU FOCUS ON YOUR TRAINING AND WE WILL TAKE CARE OF THE REST
Our package starts from your arrival at Dubrovnik Airport on Friday 18th September and finishes with your departure from Dubrovnik Airport on Tuesday 22nd September 2020.
TWIN SHARE FROM 6.682,50 kn (891 Є)
SINGLE ROOM FROM 7.492,50 kn (999 Є)
MINIMUM NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: 6
DAY 1 – 18 September 2020 – Arrive in Dubrovnik. Transfer to the Old Town. Walking Tour. Transfer to Admiral Grand Hotel, Slano.
DAY 2 – 19 September 2020 – The Ston Wall Inspection Day including lunch and carbo load dinner.
DAY 3 – 20 September 2020 – The Ston Wall Marathon, 15K and 4K. Afternoon, Optional Tour: Korčula.
DAY 4 -21 September 2020 – Optional Tour: Mljet National Park.
DAY 5 – 22 September 2020 – Dubrovnik City Walls Tour. Transfer to the airport.
DEPOSIT AND PAYMENT TIMETABLE
Please just pay a deposit if you have been invited to do so by Travel Matters. Please note that the deposit is non-refundable.
Deposit: 750,00 kn (100 Є)
2nd payment: 1500,00 kn (200 Є) due on Friday 10 July 2020
Balance Due: Friday 28 August 2020
BOOKING CLOSES ON THE 28th AUGUST 2020
BOOK BEFORE THE 1st MAY 2020 AND GET YOUR RACE ENTRY FOR FREE
REGISTRATION FEES: 42K – 45 Є, 15K – 39 Є, 4K – 29 Є
This trip includes your legs
Plus all this…
• race entry : 42K, 15K or 4K (runners only)
• bus transfers between Dubrovnik Airport, Admiral Grand Hotel and Ston according to the programme
• storage for bags on race day
• accommodation for four nights in the ADMIRAL GRAND HOTEL *****
• breakfast daily
• runners’ lunch the day before the race
• two dinners (day 1 and day 2)
• entrance ticket to the Walls of Ston the day before the race
• entrance ticket to the Walls of Dubrovnik on departure day
• walking tour in Dubrovnik
• walking tour in Ston
• guiding services
PACKAGE DOES NOT INCLUDE
• flights or other transport from your home base to Dubrovnik Airport
• insurance policy
• The upcoming Ston Wall Marathon will take place on the 20th September 2020.
• The Ston Wall Marathon features three distances: 42K, 15K and 4K.
• There is no the cut-off time.
• Full marathon runners must be at least 18 years old on the race day. 15K runners must be at least 16 years old on the race day.
• The Ston Wall Marathon is mainly run on asphalt roads. The first section, covering 4 km, takes the runner up to, across and down the Ston Walls. This part of the course is marked by steep ascents and descents, and involves hundreds of steps. Steps are of varying height and width. Some steps are very narrow. Extra precaution should be taken when running this part.
• Registration fees include: T-shirt, Finisher Medal, Runner Bag, and a small bag of local salt which has been harvested by hands.
• 1st place Marathon Prize: free accommodation and entry fee for Conquer The Wall Marathon
Take a look at those walls! Please, take a very close look! The construction took three centuries, and still today they are the largest defence structures in Croatia.
You can see a wall on the right of the picture – The Big Wall. It stretches between Mali Ston and Ston, two settlements lying on opposite sides of the Pelješac Peninsula, each with its own bay. The Big Wall has a total length of 1,200 metres, but it is only one metre wide. Imagine standing on that wall right now! Let’s say that today is the 20th September 2020, and you have come to run the Ston Wall Marathon. As the starting line is in Ston, you’ve already run the road distance between Ston and Mali Ston, and you’ve climbed the Big Wall. There you are – you are running the Big Wall. Imagine! A little bit further on, the roofs of Ston will leap into view and will take your breath away… Hey, what are you doing? You are rushing down. All right, what’s next? Now, you are going to run the wall that encircles Ston. The square tower called the Tower above the Water (in the vicinity, there’s a spring of water) links the Big Wall to the wall around Ston. You can do it! First, a steep uphill run to the D-shaped tower, Stoviš, and then a steep downhill run to the round tower, Minčeta. It’s our favourite part – here you’re flying! You are now in Ston. Keep going! You’ll pass the salt marshes, and the run continues towards Broce, a small fishing village…
42K, 15K or 4K
There is a wall connecting the wall around Ston to the fortress on the top of the hill. You can’t run there. Even climbing is impossible. To enter the fortress, you have to come from the Mali Ston side. The name of the fortress is Pozvizd (literally under the stars). It’s also the name of the hill…
How about running the Ston Wall Marathon? 42K, 15K or 4K – you can choose, but whichever distance you choose, you’ll run the Big Wall, and the wall around Ston. Let’s run together! We challenge you to put the Walls of Ston into your legs…
TAKE A LOOK AT YOUR TRIP here.
SIX REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD CHOOSE THIS TRIP
1. You can focus on your training and we will take care of the rest.
2. You will run a challenging race that will stay with you forever!
3. You will discover one of the world’s most stunning cities – Dubrovnik.
4. You can choose two optional tours to make your trip more special!
5. You can combine swimming with your running.
6. You can rise above your current level of performance.
TAKE A LOOK AT YOUR HOTEL »
ADMIRAL GRAND HOTEL 5*
The Admiral Grand Hotel ***** is situated in the bay of Slano, half an hour’s drive from Ston. It has spacious rooms which combine comfort and privacy. All the rooms are “intelligent” rooms equipped with air-conditioning unit and heating with own thermostat, interactive TV, SAT TV, radio, mini bar, tea/coffee making facilities, safe-deposit box, Internet connection, bathroom with bath and hair-dryer. The hotel features several restaurants and bars, wellness & spa, indoor and outdoor swimming pools with terraces for sunbathing, three tennis courts, multipurpose playground for basketball, football and team handball, terrain for beach volleyball, sandy playground for children, large choice of water sports.
Top sightrunning tours